When you have a clogged drain in your San Francisco home it is important to take care of it right away so it doesn’t become worse. Before you try and handle this job on your own there are some important dos and don’ts that you need to know about.
Let’s start with the dos for unclogging a drain in your San Francisco home and for keeping your drains from becoming clogged in the first place.
1. It is a good idea to take time to regularly clean the drain traps.
2. Always take steps to treat a drain when it first slows down because this is the first sign that it is going to become clogged.
3. You can pour water that is boiling down your drain if it is running slower due to a build-up of grease. You want to follow the water with some baking soda and then flush the drain using more hot water.
4. Having a plunger on hand is always a good idea for drains that are clogged.
5. If you place a cover or a plug over the overflow then when you use the plunger you will get the maximum amount of pressure and suction effect possible.
6. If the above steps won’t work then you may want to try a commercial drain cleaner. For a granular cleaner you want to be sure to remove any standing water before using it. For liquid cleaners this is not necessary.
Be sure to use the cleaners with caution because they can harm your eyes and skin. Make sure that you are using them only in an area that is well ventilated.
Now that you know about the dos for a clogged drain in your San Francisco home you need to know the don’ts.
1. It is not a good idea to wait until the clog in your drain is completely stopped up. Take care of it right away when you notice it slowing down.
2. If there is no garbage disposal you don’t want to empty food or grounds from coffee down the drain.
3. Grease or a greasy substance should never be put down any drain in your home.
4. When trying to unclog a drain you don’t ever want to mix household cleansers with any drain cleaners.
5. It is never a good idea to mix two different types of drain cleaners to clear a drain that is clogged. Always wash away any previous cleaners with hot water before using another type.
Now that you know the important dos and don’ts for a clogged drain in your San Francisco home it will be much easier to handle yourself. If you can’t get it unclogged then call in a professional plumber and be sure to tell them what you have tried before they showed up. http://www.sfbayplumbing.com/